Prayer and a personal relationship with Jesus Christ is the cornerstone of a thriving marriage, and inviting Christ into your marital relationship is a powerful act of love. It isn’t our responsibility to shape our spouse, nor is it in our power to do so; this task belongs to the work of the Holy Spirit, who knows us profoundly and intimately. Interceeding for your husband through prayer – praying for his integrity, strengths, weaknesses, his relationship with God, and even his work – is a powerfully supportive practice. It is vital to remember that if you, as his wife and helpmeet, aren’t praying for your husband, who will?
TO HELP INSPIRE AND ENCOURAGE YOUR PRAYERS FOR YOUR HUSBAND, WE CREATED This comprehensive guide. Below are 25 Bible verses to pray over your husband. Each one is carefully selected to offer you a roadmap to becoming a prayer warrior for your husband, covering him in prayer with intentionality and meaning through scripture.
Here Are 25 Bible Verses To Pray Over Your Husband
- Living in Accordance with God’s Plan (Ephesians 4:1-2): Pray that your husband lives a life worthy of the calling of God on his life, with all humility and gentleness, bearing with one another in love.
- Leadership in Marriage (Ephesians 5:25-29): Pray that he continues to lead, love, and cherish you as Christ loved the church, bringing glory to God in your marriage.
- Blessing His Work (Proverbs 22:29): Pray that God blesses his endeavors and his skills find recognition before kings, not obscure men.
- Leaning on Christ in Trials (Psalm 46:1): Pray that your husband finds God to be his refuge and strength, an ever-present help in times of trouble.
- His Integrity (Proverbs 11:3): Pray for his integrity, which guide him to live upright and not in perversity.
- His Temptations (1 Corinthians 10:13): Pray for strength in resisting temptations, trusting that God is faithful and will not let him be tempted beyond his ability.
- Having a Giving Heart (Proverbs 28:27): Pray that he develops a heart for giving, knowing that he who gives to the poor will not want.
- Discernment in Finances (Luke 16:13): Pray for wisdom in handling finances, remembering that no servant can serve two masters—God and money.
- Trusting in God’s Plan (Jeremiah 29:11): Pray that he trusts in God’s plans, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give him a future and a hope.
- Commitment to Prayer (1 Thessalonians 5:17): Pray that he commits every aspect of his life to the Lord in prayer, praying without ceasing.
- Seeking Wisdom (James 1:5): Pray that your husband would continually seek wisdom from God, who gives generously to all without reproach.
- Divine Discernment (Philippians 1:9-10): Pray that God would grant your husband discernment, so he may approve what is excellent and be pure and blameless for the day of Christ.
- Understanding Marital Roles (Ephesians 5:22-33): Pray that the Lord would teach your husband how to be a good spouse and that you would also learn to be a supportive and loving wife.
- Submitting Fears to God (Psalm 118:6): Pray that your husband would submit his fears to God, knowing that the Lord is on his side and he need not fear what man can do to him.
- Grasping His Purpose in Christ (Romans 8:28): Pray that your husband would fully understand his purpose in Christ, knowing that all things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to his purpose.
- Health (1 Corinthians 6:12): Pray for your husband’s health, that he would remember his body is a temple of the Holy Spirit and he is to honor God with his body.
- Strength (Psalm 28:7): Pray that the Lord would be your husband’s strength and shield, and that he would trust in Him with all his heart.
- Uplifting Companionship (Proverbs 13:20): Pray that your husband would be surrounded by wise companions, as those who walk with the wise become wise.
- Boldly Declaring the Gospel (Acts 28:31): Pray that your husband would proclaim the kingdom of God and teach about the Lord Jesus Christ with all boldness and without hindrance.
- Spiritual Growth (2 Peter 3:18): Pray that your husband would grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, through reading, studying, and prayer.
- A Humble, Teachable Spirit (Proverbs 15:33): Pray that your husband would embrace humility and instruction, as the fear of the Lord is instruction in wisdom, and humility comes before honor.
- Patience and Peace (Romans 14:19): Pray that your husband would pursue what makes for peace and mutual upbuilding, being filled with patience and peace.
- Quick to Forgive (1 Corinthians 13, Ephesians 4:32): Pray that your husband would be quick to forgive, as love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. And that he would be kind to others, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave him.
- His Heart (Proverbs 4:23): Pray for your husband’s heart, that he would guard it, for from it flow the springs of life.
- His Future (Psalm 119:105): Pray for your husband’s future, that God’s word would be a lamp to his feet and a light to his path, guiding him in every decision he makes.
Incorporating These Prayers into Your Daily Life
Now that you’re equipped with these powerful Bible verses, how can you incorporate them into your daily life? One way is to make it a daily habit and lifestyle. Set aside a specific time dedicated to praying these verses over your husband each day. Another approach is to pray a different verse each day, meditating on the verse and its implications for your husband’s life. You could also write these verses on notecards and place them in spots where you’ll see them frequently – on the bathroom mirror, the dashboard of your car, or even as a bookmark in your Bible or current book.
Remember, these prayers are not magic formulas, but they are powerful tools for asking God to work in your husband’s life. Praying for your husband is a way of supporting him and seeking God’s will for him. As you pray these verses, you’ll likely find that your understanding of and love for your husband deepens, and you’ll also grow in your relationship with God.
Optimizing Your Prayer Life
This guide provides a blueprint for praying over your husband. But remember, prayer is not a one-size-fits-all practice. Feel free to adapt these prayers to suit your husband’s and your family’s unique needs. For example, if your husband is facing a particular challenge at work, you might focus more on the verses related to wisdom, discernment, and strength. If he’s dealing with health issues, the verses about health and peace might be particularly pertinent.
In addition, keep in mind that the aim of these prayers is not to change your husband into someone he’s not. Instead, they are to invite God’s wisdom, guidance, and grace into his life. After all, it’s Christ’s role to shape us, and He knows us better than anyone else.
This comprehensive guide to praying over your husband is a valuable resource for wives seeking to support their husbands through prayer. By delving into these 25 Bible verses and praying them over your husband, you invite God’s transformative power into your marriage. Remember, as a wife, your prayers for your husband are powerful and effective. Let’s commit to becoming prayer warriors for our husbands, covering them with prayers filled with intentionality and meaning through Scripture.
Remember the words of James 5:16, “The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.” Let us be women who fervently pray for our husbands, knowing that our prayers have great power in their lives.